Posted by Let the games begin! on December 09, 2013 at 09:32:33
The 10 Commandments of Logic
1. Thou shalt not attack the person's character, but the argument (Ad hominem).
2. Thou shalt not misrepresent, oversimplify nor exaggerate a individual's argument in order facilitate personal attacks (Straw man fallacy).
3. Thou shalt not use small numbers to represent the whole (Hasty generalization).
4. Thou shalt not argue thy position by assuming one of its premises is true (Begging the question)
5. Thou shalt not claim that because something occurred before, that it must thus be the cause (Post hoc/False cause).
6. Thou shalt not reduce an argument down to two possibilities (False dichotomy).
7. Thou shalt not argue that because of our ignorance, a claim must be true or false (Ad ignorantum).
8. Thou shalt not lay the burden of proof onto him that is questioning the claim (Burden-of-proof reversal).
9. Thou shalt not assume "this" follows "that" when it has no logical connection (Non sequitur).
10. Thou shalt not claim that a premise must be true, because it is popular (Bandwagon fallacy).
Replies to this Post:
Post a Reply