The Family Children of God by insidersChildren of God Family International
Home Chat Boards Articles COG History COG Publications People Resources Search site map > chatboards > genX > archives > post #895

You can sue outside of the U.S.

Posted by Acheick on May 03, 2002 at 16:53:46:

I was reading how the Falun Gong was suing china here in the U.S. using an old obscure law from 1789. Originally, the law was used to combat piracy on the high seas, but the Falun Gong has successfully used it to sue Chinese officials, under the Alien Tort Claims Act of 1789 and the Torture Victims Protection Act. Human rights activists started using the tort claims act in rights cases in the 1980s. The Chinese that were sued were served at airports or while visiting the U.S. Of course, the officials did not contest the charges and the plaintiffs won by default. They did not win an award, it doesn't say why, but apparently it's still bugging the officials and they want them to stop. I thought this was quite interesting considering how there were abuses in the F. but because they were overseas, people are thinking they have no rights.