The Family Children of God by insidersChildren of God Family International
Home Chat Boards Articles COG History COG Publications People Resources Search site map > chatboards > genX > archives > post #9884

In Texas

Posted by jo on September 08, 2003 at 14:33:19

In Reply to: Thanks for your response posted by Acheick on September 08, 2003 at 13:41:54:

You are legally expected to report abuse such as child abuse or elderly abuse, etc. that you are aware of, professional or not. It is then up to the qualified protective services to intervene if they determine it is necessaryl. There is no real way for law enforcement to know that you haven't reported something. But it is a law here.
As far as adults having affairs, I believe that is a private matter between the couple, but I don't know what I would do in any given situation as a friend. i might say something to someone in some circumstances. As far as child abuse/molestation, if I knew of a child molester I would be very certain about it first, and definitely report it to DCS or CPS.
An example I can think of is one where a friend was molested by a neighbor who is an upstanding (as a front) family man and works with kids in church. He is a serial molester and when she found out what church he worked for, she called the people there. That was her call, I believe, and I am glad she did it. Because serial child molesters don't get "cured". And serial molesters that want to try and stop don't work in children's places any more than a severe alcoholic in recovery would work in a bar slinging drinks.